Bạn đang xem: Controlling interest là gì
Quý Khách sẽ xem: Controlling interest là gìPeter Westfall is a professor at Texas Tech University. He specializes in using statistics in investing, technical analysis, và trading.
What Is Non-Controlling Interest?
A non-controlling interest, also known as a minority interest, is an ownership position wherein a shareholder owns less than 50% of outstanding shares & has no control over decisions. Non-controlling interests are measured at the net asset value of entities cùng do not tài khoản for potential voting rights.
Most shareholders of public companies today would be classified as holding a non-controlling interest, with even a 5% bự 10% equity stake considered to be a large holding in a single company. A non-controlling interest may be contrasted with a controlling, or majority interest in a company, where the investor does have sầu voting rights and can often affect the course of the company.A non-controlling interest, also known as a minority interest, is an ownership position whereby a shareholder owns less than một nửa of outstanding shares.As a result, minority interest shareholders have sầu no individual control over corporate decisions or votes by themselves.A direct non-controlling interest receives a proportionate allocation of all (pre- and post-acquisition amounts) recorded equity of a subsidiary.An indirect non-controlling interest receives a proportionate allocation of a subsidiary"s post-acquisition amounts only.The opposite of a non-controlling interest is a controlling interest, where a shareholder has voting rights to lớn determine a corporate decision.
Understanding Non-Controlling Interest
Generally, there are two types of non-controlling interests: a direct non-controlling interest and an indirect non-controlling interest.A direct non-controlling interest receives a proportionate allocation of all (pre & post-acquisition amounts) recorded equity of a subsidiary.An indirect non-controlling interest receives a proportionate allocation of a subsidiary"s post-acquisition amounts only.
It is generally not until an investor controls 5% kếch xù 10% of the shares that they communicate specific proposals to con the board & management, propose changes lớn mập the board of directors, propose changes at a shareholder meeting và team with other investors khổng lồ make their actions more likely lớn lao succeed. Such investors are termed Activist investors. Activist investors range widely in style of action và objectives. Objectives range from seeking operational improvements lớn phệ restructuring bự natural environment & social policy.
Financial Statements & Non-Controlling Interest
Consolidation is a mix of financial statements that combine the accounting records of several entities into đùng one mix of financials. These typically include a parent company, as the majority owner, a subsidiary, or a purchased firm, & a non-controlling interest company. The consolidated financials allows investors, creditors, và company managers to view the three separate entities as if all three firms are one company.
A consolidation also assumes that a parent & a non-controlling interest company jointly purchased the equity of a subsidiary company. Any transactions between the parent cùng the subsidiary company, or between the parent và the non-controlling interest firm, are eliminated before the consolidated financial statements are created.
Example of Non-Controlling Interest
Assumethat a parent company buys 80% of XYZ firm và that a non-controlling interest company buys the remaining 20% of the new subsidiary, XYZ. The subsidiary’s assets & liabilities on the balance sheet are adjusted to lớn fair market value, với those values are used on the consolidated financial statements. If the parent & a non-controlling interest pay more than the fair value of the net assets, the excess is posted kếch xù a goodwill thông tin tài khoản in the consolidated financial statements.
Goodwill is an additional expense incurred vĩ đại buy a company for more than the fair market value, và goodwill is amortized into lớn to an expense thông tin tài khoản over time after an impairment bình chọn. This is done under the purchase acquisition accounting method approved by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB).maze-mobile.com requires writers to mập use primary sources Khủng support their work. These include trắng papers, government data, original reporting, & interviews with industry experts. We also reference original retìm kiếm tìm from other reputable publishers where appropriate. You can learn more about the standards we follow in producing accurate, unbiased ngôn từ in oureditorial policy.